Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Joe Calls Me Kid.

Joe and I met at The American Eye Institute. Joe worked in transportation.  He was a van driver.  Meaning that he picked a patient up and brought them in to have surgery.  This is a position that has some waiting involved.  I worked check out.  This was and still is the hub of the place formally known as The American Eye Institute.  Check out was a place to find who and what was the gossip of the day.  So I had plenty of visits and time to chat with Joe.

I know plenty of things about Joe.  I can tell you he retired from the IRS.  If you didn't pay your bill he came and took your things as payment.  I always found this job similar to the G-man of old.  I am pretty sure I told Joe how "cool" I thought this was.  Joe didn't think it was cool.  It was a hard job.  It's hard to take peoples things away from them.  Joe is married to Lynn.  They called each other bad names and had the best time together. Joe always calls me kid.  Joe and Lynn began snowbirds and I only got to see them in the summer.

Joe is a organ recipient.  Joe was alive because someone else died and gave away their insides.  Joe was so thankful and really spent a lot of time telling people how important it was to be thankful.  Joe encouraged people to consider organ donation.  I always swore I was taking my organs to the grave with me until I met Joe.  Joe is the only reason I told Luke to donate what they could and burn the rest.  I was so glad to know Joe and felt that my life would have been somehow less or different if I hadn't got to know Joe.  So I will donate my insides so someone else can live when its my turn.

Joe died roughly two weeks ago.  He was in Florida, and got an infection.  Which is really serious for organ recipient and he wasn't able to recover.  I am sad for Lynn. I am sad for myself.  I am an organ donor because of Joe.

Joe always called me kid.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about Joe, Care Bear. I'm sure you held a special place in his heart as well.

    ReplyDelete